Dandruff is a chronic scalp condition which is harmless, but you can find white flakes on your collar or shoulders. This is quite embarrassing, may also cause hair-fall and sometimes hard to treat. Dandruff onset is usually at puberty due to hormonal changes and affects about half of the adults. It is not cured, but it can be controlled.
The exact cause of dandruff is not clear, but certain factors may increase their risk which is as follows:
– Seborrheic Dermatitis
This condition not only affects your scalp but some other areas as well like eyebrows, back of your ears, armpits etc. It makes your scalp or skin red, inflamed, itchy and rash prone due to excess oil production.
– Yeast-like fungus
The overgrowth of yeast-like fungus also causes dandruff. Mainly stress, hormones, oily scalp or problem in the immune system leads to the overgrowth of this fungus.
– Sensitivity to certain ingredients
Sometimes using harsh products or sensitive ingredients in hair care products leads to the itchy and flaky scalp.
– Other factors
A person with a certain illness like neurological diseases, HIV infection, long-term medication, stress etc. are more prone to suffer from dandruff. And the deficiency of zinc, essential fats and B vitamins also increase the risk of dandruff. As possibly male hormones are more responsible for dandruff, so males are more prone to this condition than women.
Some of the easy to spot symptoms of dandruff are:
– White and oily flakes of dead skin on your hair and shoulders
– Itchy and scaly scalp.
– The condition may get worse during winters.
* Better to clean your hair and scalp more often by using pH balanced shampoo.
* Look at the shampoo with at least one of the following ingredients:
– Ketoconazole ( One of the most effective anti-fungal ingredient to treat dandruff )
– Selenium Sulfide ( It helps to reduce the production of excess oil and hence trigger dandruff )
– Salicylic Acid ( It has anti-inflammatory ingredients to treat your skin and scalp conditions.
– Zinc Pyrithione ( It reduces the growth of yeast )
– Coal Tar ( It has anti-fungal properties, but it may make your scalp more sensitive to sunlight. And it may cause discoloration of dyed or treated hair. )
– Tea Tree Oil ( It has anti-fungal, antiseptic, and antibiotic properties and it is very effective to get rid of dandruff. )
Make sure you are not allergic to any of these ingredients and pick the one that suits you.
* You may also use some natural ingredients like multani-mitti pack, fenugreek seeds pack, curd etc. if that suits you to treat dandruff.
* Or else better to consult your doctor if the condition worsens and you’ll not find any improvement after using anti-dandruff or other medicated shampoos.