Actually, your hair roots are connected to sebaceous glands which secrete the natural oil called sebum. This sebum is very helpful to maintain the softness and smoothness of your hair. But overproduction of sebum will lead to greasy hair. Thus oily hair not only look bad but also invite unwanted issues like dandruff, itchy scalp, seborrheic dermatitis, hair fall etc. Many factors are responsible for this over-production of sebum and make your hair look oily and greasy which are as follows:
– GENETIC FACTOR
If any of your parents have oily hair, then the chances of having oily hair increase due to those passing particular genes to you.
If you live in the area of high humidity, then chances of having oily hair and oily skin increases.
– HORMONAL IMBALANCE
Some hormonal changes or fluctuations can lead to excess oil production in scalp like puberty, menopause, pregnancy, hormonal imbalance with birth control pills, stress etc. and make your hair more sticky.
– TOO MUCH BRUSHING/TOUCHING YOUR HAIR
When you brush and touch your hair too often, then you transfer the oil from your scalp to the hair. This will end up your hair looking more greasy.
– USING TOO MANY CHEMICALS OR HEATING TOOLS
Regular use of harsh chemicals, styling tools on your hair and wrong products will also lead to making your oil glands produce more sebum.
– SHAMPOOING TOO OFTEN AND USING HOT WATER
Too much shampooing and hot water actually strip off the oil, which in turn encourages these glands to produce more oil.
Some of the tips to prevent oily hair are as follows:
– Choose your hair products like shampoos, conditioners, and serums carefully. Pick the one that suits you, maintain the pH balance and is mild.
– Just don’t wash too much, you may also use dry shampoos rather than washing your hair on daily basis.
– Avoid using too much hair tools like a straightener, blow dryer, curlers etc.
– Silicon-based hair products can also enhance greasy hair, so better to avoid using this ingredient in your hair products.
– Always wash your hair with regular water to maintain the pH balance of your hair.
– The antiseptic and antifungal property of tea tree oil helps to keep your hair look clean and healthy for longer.
– Clean your comb or brush to prevent spreading dirt and grease.